It shocks me to think that just a month ago we were praying tirelessly for your arrival and for the day we could bring you home. And today, I'm holding MY beautiful thriving baby girl. It's been a whirlwind of a month and those days in Dallas waiting to bring you home feel like a lifetime ago. However, for your sake and for mine, I vow to never forget the struggles that led to finding you.
Every single day you change and when daddy comes home from work, he swears you have grown up while he was away. And in some ways, you have.
In one month here is your progress:
- You were always good at tummy time albeit you don't enjoy it. Your neck control is unbelievable for your age. And mommy still does tummy time for as long as you will let me. However, most of your tummy time is on my tummy!
- We have noticed in the last week, that you are able to look up now. You have been able to look side to side and down, but recently you started to look up at us when we hold you facing forward. It's the sweetest thing because you have the chance to see the world around you and you still just want to see me.
- You are your happiest in the morning. In the morning, we snuggle on the couch with the today show playing in the background and just 'talk' and sing. Finally a week ago you began 'talking' back! Every day, you coo more and more!
- You are trying so hard to smile, but we haven't experienced anything other than a gassy smile. We think you will master it any day though. I just pray you are a happy baby! Everything we do is for your happiness.
- For a while, almost every night, you would have a fussy period from 7-8 ish. Those days are few and far between now. See you are growing up! During those fussy periods, daddy and I would turn up Cory Morrow and dance the night away with you. And you would fall right into a deep slumber. You love music by the way.
- In your first two weeks home you loved the swing, but as time goes on, I think you have a love/hate relationship with the swing. You sleep very well it in, but if we put you down in the swing awake you aren't so content. You would so much rather be in mommy or daddy's arms. And that's okay.
- Your umbilical cord didn't fall off until you were 15 days old, so we had lots of sponge baths (every other day). You absolutely loved them. No tears what-so-ever. Your favorite part seemed to be when mommy washed your hair and gave you a scalp massage! Now we have transitioned into baths and every day is a bit different. Some days you cry a little, and some days you are completely content. I think you will grow into loving them very soon. I can just see you kicking and splashing about so happily.
- Speaking of kicking... You LOVE to kick. You're leg muscles are so unbelievably strong already. You kick, and squirm and push off of us with your legs. You can even lock your legs and 'stand'. We think you are a gymnast in the making like mommy.
- You love to be on-the-go. Anytime we are in the car, you are right to sleep. You sleep your best naps while we are out and about. We try and get in at least one outing a day and you are such a trooper. With that being said, you are a great shopping partner and addition to mommy and daddy's date nights. You are wonderful anywhere we tote you around to!
- It's pretty clear that you love to be pampered already. You are so happy when mommy or daddy brush your hair and when we rub your head. You are not phased by us at all when we trim your nails and you let mommy clean your face at least 15 times a day ;)
- During the day if we stay home, you just power nap 15 minutes here and 15 minutes there. Mommy can get nothing done but snuggle with your sweet self and that's alright with me. You are only this small once and I cherish every second of our time together. I will be honest though and say, that in the first week I really struggled with this. I've learned that it's okay to let my house go and all the many other things that I no longer have time for. This was my hardest lesson as a new mom.
- You've always been a great eater. You started out eating 2 ounces every 2 hours and now you eat 3-4 ounces every 2-4 hours (you tell us when you are ready!).
- Sleep oh glorious sleep! We've certainly had some tough nights where you were awake every hour and a half and then we've had nights where you wake up ever 3-4 hours and we were so thankful. But after your 4 week birthday, you decided to grow up just a little more and SLEEP THROUGH THE NIGHT. It's now been two nights in a row and daddy and I think this is becoming your new normal. You go to bed between 10-11 and wake up between 5-5:30. We feed you and 30 minutes later you are in another deep slumber and don't wake up until 8:30 or 9! I told daddy that you are your mommy's daughter. Prior to your arrival, I rarely woke up before 9am!
Here are your stats over the last month:
Birth:
7lbs 8oz
20 inches
1 week old:
8lbs 1 oz (56%)
20 3/4 inches (81%)
2 weeks old:
9lbs (67%)
21 1/2 inches (85%)
1 month old:
You don't go back to the doctor until you are 2 months old, so per the scale at home - 9lbs and 12oz
We don't know your length, but I will say, you are a tall little lady. You are very quickly growing out of your newborn clothes in length, but I still put you in them because they fit every where else. So what if your pants look like capris!
My little love, you are amazing in every single way possible. In one short month, you have enriched our lives and brought so much happiness to not only us, but every one who has followed our story and/or awaiting their dream to come true. You bring hope. You are our dream come true, our happily ever after and God has blessed us far greater than we ever imagined. One day I will tell you how many people have prayed for you and for our family. People we have never met have sent such thoughtful and sweet gifts for you and mommy and daddy are deeply touched. You are loved beyond measure by so many people it brings tears to my eyes. To simply say you are special would never be enough. You are our whole world and everything we do in this life is for you. And just as we promised, we love you with our whole hearts, our entire being, forever.
We love you beyond measure,
Mommy and Daddy













I love the letter format! Sounds like Emeline is thriving! You grow girl! ;-)
ReplyDeleteThe hardest thing for me was not ever having time to do things too...that and learning how to ask for help from my hubby a lot more than I was used to!! I had always been so used tO being independent. Also watch out, I think I shop even more than I used to since violet is a GREAT shopping companion! Gets you in trouble!
ReplyDelete