Wow, we made it. One year has passed in an instant and I can't believe my baby is growing up so quickly. This one year mark was a little emotional for me. I was overwhelmed with love and gratitude for you and Daddy and amazed at how incredible this last year has been. We have just been so blessed by you that I couldn't hold back the tears. Me, your mother, cried THREE times at your birthday party- in. public. I don't do that. But that's how overwhelmingly happy I am with our life and all that it has become.
I stumble for the perfect words to express to you just how thankful and honored I am that your birth-mom chose Daddy and I to be your parents. You complete us so perfectly and make each day more joyful that the day before. If it weren't for your birth parents, this day would never be possible and I won't let anyone forget the sacrifices they made to ensure our happiness. These are the thoughts that consumed me in the weeks and days leading up to your birthday and on that day those happy tears flowed. Oh well, a good cry never hurt anyone.
Here's a peek into your world at 12 months old:
- You are an official walker. It happened on Memorial Day and you were 11 1/2 months old. You just took off and took 27 steps all of a sudden. Maybe I should have stopped counting, huh? From that moment on, you never resorted back to crawling. That glimmer of pride in your eyes took over and you've been on the move ever since. You know what, having a walker isn't as hard as everyone says. I think you have matured since your crawling days and you have slowed down a bit. You aren't as active and into everything as you once were and when I discipline you, you've been listening. Crazy, I know.
- You LOVE music. I read recently that babies were born to love music. You move to the beat, bob your head, wave your arms, and clap. We have recently started a Musikgarten class. We've only been once so far, but you had a blast. All the mommies said it looked like you have been taking this class all your life like many of the other kiddos in class. You banged your sticks to the beat like a pro, danced and waved your scarf around like all the other kids. Proud mommy moment. Oh and I think we both made some new friends too!
- When we ask "How big is Eme?" you respond by lifting your hands above your head instead of out horizontally. Cute stuff.
- You have to be the most social baby I have ever seen. You make friends everywhere we go and wave to anyone who glances in your direction. Correction - you wave even to people who aren't looking at you and you don't stop until they acknowledge you with a smile and a wave back. You are such an extrovert and I can already tell you love to be the center of attention. When you enter a room, all eyes are on you. And coincidentally, me too...
- You are still very independent. You want to brush your own hair, feed yourself with a spoon or fork when we aren't eating finger foods, brush your own teeth, etc.
- You are still a little explorer, opening drawers that aren't baby proofed, going through my closet and picking out your favorite shirt (you like polka dots) and picking things up off the ground you aren't supposed to have. If you have something you aren't allowed and I take it away, you have started throwing little tantrums (only lasting a couple of seconds). I ignore you and welcome you back when you've stopped fussing. You really are becoming a toddler.
- When I ask you for a kiss, you kiss me. When I ask you to kiss Daddy, a stuffed animal, Oskar or George - you do it or at least try. My sweet little baby.
- You are so great at mimicking us. Whether it is a body movement, a noise with our mouths or even a word, you are so interested in everything we do and often times mimic us perfectly.
- You still love water whether it is an ocean, lake, river, pool or the bath, you are so at peace in the water. We recently took you to the river and you relaxed and cuddled with me for an hour as we floated down river. You never sit still for that long. Water is your happy place. And it's mine as well.
- We are still doing sign language with you and now we have taught you 'thank you'. You haven't used it on your own yet, but you say 'thank you' when I tell you to. I still think you are too young to understand the concept of manners, but we are making a good start. You can also sign and say, 'night-night' now. Next sign to teach you - please!
- We have officially done away with all bottles. Boy was that a feat. I have to say, that has been the hardest battle yet. You sure loved your bottles.
- You are now also on whole milk only. No more formula. You sure loved your formula too, but thankfully weaning you from formula to milk was not an issue.
- You have seven teeth now and that includes one molar. You are getting a second molar now too. These molars have really affected you, so we have enjoyed lots of cuddles to make you feel better.
- You have also recently gotten your first cold and with that came a double ear infection. Again, lots of cuddles and down time for you and Mommy during the day and more cuddles from Daddy when he got home from work. You were so pitiful that it broke our hearts to see you sick. We've been extremely lucky that you only truly got sick once in your first year.
- You drink 2-8 oz bottles a day, 3 finger food meals and 2 snacks. You are such a great eater. I think you eat as much as I do sometimes! However, you are starting to fight me on the veggies... I work them in any sneaky way I can though. Gotcha!
- You sleep from 8:00 pm-6:30 am. Now that you have decided that we don't need that extra hour and a half of sleep, we are waking up at the crack of dawn and Mommy is struggling. You see, I'm not a morning person and I didn't think you were either. You fooled me! Your nap schedule is still the same. Your morning nap is anywhere between 45 min to an hour and a half. Your afternoon nap is 1-2 hours.
- You are in size 12-18 month clothes - although they are still rather large and size 4 diapers.
Weight - 19 lbs 12.5 oz - 27.5%
Height - 28.75" - 37%
Thank you for making these the best days of our lives. I know these days aren't over and each day will continue to be more fun and exciting as we watch you grow. Daddy and I can't wait to celebrate each day with you and watch you grow into the Emeline you were always meant to be.
We'll love you forever, We'll like you for always,
Mommy and Daddy
(Oskar and George too)






























No comments:
Post a Comment