The longer our fertility journey goes on, the more I realize I need to move forward with my life. This past year has solely been about mine and Kris’ fertility. I’ve devoted myself to research, doctor’s appointments and changing every aspect of my life that I can to help improve our success. Now, I’m not moving on from those goals, I’m just moving forward and devoting myself to something else I hold near and dear to my heart…animals. Volunteering at an animal shelter has been something I have wanted to do ever since I left my job. Month after month, I continued putting it off because in my mind, I would be pregnant very soon and because of the many diseases these rescue dogs sadly have; it’s not a place for a pregnant woman. I’ve now put my selfishness aside for a greater cause. I want to give these poor innocent animals a chance at life and I know one person can make a difference. Starting in January, I will be volunteering 3 days a week at 2 animal rescue organizations.
Corridor Rescue Inc.
There is a place on the Northeast side of town, entirely too close to home for comfort, off 59 and Little York named the Corridor of Cruelty and Neglect. A place so inhumane it’s nauseating. This area of town is the dividing line between the county and city Animal Controls, so no one is coming to rescue or relieve these poor innocent animals from their pain and suffering. They are sent to a life of wandering around aimlessly, starving, disease ridden and often times abused. Many of the people in this area throw away these animals as if they are garbage and think nothing more of it. It is the mission of this organization and now mine, to save lives and correct this injustice to hundreds of physically and emotionally damaged animals.
For the Corridor Rescue Inc., I will be both a feed station volunteer and a dog visitor. As a feed station volunteer, I will go out to 59 and Little York (with someone else for safety) and give these animals food and water. The organization has feed stations for two miles throughout this corridor and the dogs we find are fed daily. It will be my duty to document the dogs we encounter that day and email the other volunteers. That volunteer’s job is to then find the funds needed to rescue the animals and then find the appropriate animal shelter, vet clinic or foster home. I know it may sound like a long process, but because of Facebook and other online resources, we can reach a vast amount of people quickly and bring these doggies home.
My second volunteer job with CRI will be a dog visitor. Once the dogs are rescued, some will be placed in Abbott’s Animal Clinic, where I will visit and show them what it is like to be loved and cared for the first time in their lives. Because I am a feed station volunteer and a dog visitor, I will be able to watch these dogs transform into pets ready for their forever homes. I chose this job, because I believe in this process, I believe we can rescue a dog, sad, scared and abused and give him/her a chance at a real life. I’ve watched many success stories from this organization over the past year and it’s amazing to see the transformations. Dogs quickly losing their fight to stay alive are rescued just in time and through medicine, training and lots of nurturing, they become happy, fun loving pets with a new life and a new family.
Volunteers for Animal Protection-VAP
VAP is a similar organization to CRI, where they rescue, rehabilitate and then place these dogs and cats in their forever homes. For VAP, I will be a dog visitor as well and provide food, water and love to the animals until they are adopted.
I’m looking forward to moving forward and having a new focus in my life. Our fertility will always be my number one focus until we bring a baby into this world, but I need more meaning in my life right now. I have the time and resources to make a difference and I need to make a difference.
What a difference you are going to make Ashley! We are so proud of you and those special babies need you! Thank you for all that you do! We love you dearly!
ReplyDeleteYou are going to make such a difference!!!! Love u!
ReplyDelete