I’m sure you are tired of hearing about our infertility woes, because I know I’m sure tired of talking about it. I do want you to know that although our life is nearly consumed,
we do manage to have fun and enjoy life outside of our infertility.
Lately Kris and I are back on a mission to maintain a healthy lifestyle. We took a break during our IVF cycles for many reasons, but we are back on track and with a vengeance. Kris is back in the gym, he and I have laced up our running shoes once again and I’m back to yoga and loving it!
In fact, all four of us are getting back in shape! Several nights a week, we cook dinner and then take the boys on a walk. This used to not be enjoyable because they are terrible walkers, but each night they get better and better. My short and stocky Georgie is even getting a waistline!
Cooking dinner a few nights a week has been good for us in many ways. It’s relaxing first and foremost. We put the iPhone in the docking station, turn up the music and cook away! Kris and I have also enjoyed the teamwork in preparing dinner together (most nights). Sometimes he works late and I’ll have dinner waiting on him like the good wife that I try to be. We are actually saving money from not eating out so much, plus we can control what we are putting in our bodies. But best of all, we are improving our cooking skills (practice makes perfect!) and can make delicious meals for our babies one day.
On Monday of this week, I made Pasta Rustica with Chicken Sausage and Three Cheeses. I thought I would share this recipe with everyone, because I love getting recipes from friends and this one was just too good to keep to myself! I suggest taking it to your next dinner party. It will go over very well - trust me!
Pasta Rustica with Chicken Sausage and Three Cheeses
Ingredients:
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 lb. chicken or turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. hot red pepper flakes
- 1 can (28 oz.) tomatoes in puree, tomatoes coarsely chopped and puree reserved
- Salt, to taste
- 1 lb. penne pasta
- 1 1/4 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded fontina or mozzarella cheese
Directions:
In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion and cook until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up into bite-size pieces, until no longer pink, about 6 minutes. Stir in the basil, oregano and red pepper flakes. Add the tomatoes and puree and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 10 to 12 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasonings with salt.
Preheat an oven to 350ºF. Lightly oil a baking dish.
Bring a large pot three-fourths full of water to a boil over high heat. Salt the water, add the pasta, stir well and cook until barely al dente (tender but firm to the bite), 10 to 12 minutes. Drain well.
In a large bowl, toss the pasta with the sauce, the ricotta and fontina. Spread in the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with the Parmigiano-Reggiano.
Bake until the cheeses are melted and the tips of the pasta are crusty, about 30 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Serve hot.
Serves 6 to 8.
I made the following changes:
I made the following changes:
- Chicken sausage instead of turkey sausage (remember to remove the casings)
- Kris and I love spicy dishes, so I did red pepper flakes and salt to taste.
- I skipped the ricotta cheese altogether and did 2 cups of skim mozzarella and 1 cup of fontina. The fontina gave the dish a smoky flavor, which ended up being a perfect combination.
Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
That looks delish!! Just might have to try it!! Thanks for sharing! Love yall!
ReplyDelete