Our Story of Hope, Perseverance and Believing in Miracles...

Monday, September 19, 2011

Happy Anniversary to my love!


8 years, 7 months and 15 days ago, Kris and I shared our first ‘hello’.

And 2 weeks later, we found ourselves head-over-heels in love. 
I guess I’ve never shared this story on the blog and it’s a good one, so I will now.  Kris had a sport bike at the time and he was leaving my apartment to go for a ride.  He kissed me good-bye, said he’d be back soon, not to worry and then he slipped and said the three best words you'll ever hear, ‘I love you’.  Shock took over and I didn’t know what to do, so of all things - I shut the door in his face.  I know, I know... shame on me.  I can’t imagine what he must have thought.  After all, he didn’t mean to say ‘I love you’ so soon.  That was the moment I realized I had fallen in love with him.  When he got back, we talked about what happened, I apologized for my reaction and from that day forward we’ve loved each other beyond measure.
Now, we are celebrating 3 happy years of marriage and every year our marriage grows and evolves into something better than it was before.  Although we’ve had some bumps in the road, it’s really been a beautiful ride.
On our anniversary, I thought it was fitting to share with you the ‘About Us’ page we wrote for our profile book.
"One word, that's all you said".  It's been eight years since our first “hello” when Kris swept Ashley off her feet and she stopped him in his tracks.  It was a moment that changed our lives forever.  Really, it was love at first sight.  Because of the way we met, we have a saying between one another, “you had me from hello”.  Ashley engraved this saying on a dog tag necklace and gave it to Kris for Christmas. He wears it every day.  We were college sweethearts and are now married with two furry children who also stole our hearts.  A few years ago we made the decision to start a family, but soon found out God had a different plan for us.  We realized then, were always meant to grow our family through adoption. Our journey through infertility has taught us to enjoy and appreciate life much more than we ever did.  We learned we can withstand great obstacles and know that whatever challenges life throws our way, our marriage and our bond, will be stronger than before.  Kris’ favorite quote is “rise and rise again…until lambs become lions”.  It means to never give up, and we won’t.  We have a beautiful life and together we can’t wait to share our life with you and this child as we continue down this amazing journey.
In honor of my husband and the wonderful man he has been to me all of these years, I want to share what I wrote about him for our book.
About Kris (through Ashley's eyes):
Kris is my dream come true; my happily ever after.  He’s everything I ever wanted in a husband, but never knew it.  He is simply the most wonderful man I know.  I love Kris for the way he loves me.  He’s my rock and my best friend. 
Kris knows how much I love surprises and is always looking for new ways to surprise me. Every time, I’m blown away.  This is just an example of his constant desire to make those around him feel special.  He consistently thinks of others before himself and this is the quality I admire most about him.
From the moment I met Kris I was instantly attracted to him. He is tall, dark and handsome, but more than that, he has a great sense of humor.  He keeps me laughing and smiling every day, whether he is singing to me in the shower, wrestling with the dogs or very animatedly telling me another one of his stories.
Kris’ optimism is something that is contagious and his courageousness helps me face my fears.  He is kind, genuine and honest.  All of these traits make him an amazing husband, a true friend and one day an exceptional father.  I’m truly blessed to spend the rest of my life alongside this man.

And now here’s a peek into the last 8 years, 7 months and 15 days of our life:
Our very first picture together - February 2003
Our first offical date. He took me to Eddie V's to celebrate my 20th birthday. It had snowed in Austin while we were eating and when we left, the city was blanketed in snow. It was truly a magical evening.

In Houston, celebrating Kris' 21st birthday - November 2003
  
My 21st birthday in Austin - February 2004

Our first trip just the two of us. Biltmore Estates - Summer 2004
  
Kris' graduation - May 2005 


The day we brought Oskar home - July 2005

On the way to Austin for my graduation - December 2005

In New York - Fall of 2005
In Playa del Carmen - our first trip out of the country together.  We were celebrating our 3rd anniversary in February 2006. 
In Jackson Hole, WY celebrating our 4th anniversary- February 2007


We purchased our first home in April 2007
Minutes before Kris proposed!
Our engagement - August 27, 2007

Engagement photo - April 2008 

 
Bridal portrait - August 2008 

Talking to Kris before our wedding - September 20, 2008

Kris watching me walk down the aisle.

Introducing Mr. and Mrs. Simpson! September 20, 2008 - the best day of our life to date.
Honeymoon stop #1 - LA 

Honeymoon #2 - Moorea

Honeymoon stop #3 - Bora Bora

Honeymoon stop #4 - Le Tahaa 

On the last day of our honeymoon, we went back to Moorea to get tattoos that signify our marriage. What better place to get your first tattoo than in Tahiti where tattoos originated?!
We welcomed home our second puppy George - October 2008


Trip to Cabo - May 2009

This is where Kris proposed one year later. We celebrated our 1st anniversary in the Hill Country - September 20, 2009.
Our white Christmas in Boston - December 2009

Our adventure of a lifetime in Kauai - May 2010

Celebrating our 2nd anniversary in Palm Beach, FL - September 20, 2010

In the Dominican Republic celebrating our decision to adopt! July 2011


And here we are today with a dream.  We are waiting patiently to bring home our first child through the miracle of adoption.


Although my life has not gone in the direction that I envisioned, it's turned out better than I could have ever dreamt.  I'm lucky in love and happily married with a life full of wonderful memories and adventures.  I can’t wait to see what the future hold for Kris and I, but no matter what happens, I know I get to grow old with my best friend.  I love you with all my heart Kris Simpson.  Happy 3rd Anniversary!

1 comment: