Our Story of Hope, Perseverance and Believing in Miracles...

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

8 Months Old

Dear Emeline,

Why must this time pass so quickly?  I know I will embrace and love each stage you are in, but I'm not ready  for my baby to grow up.  I guess no mommy is...  This past month seemed to fly by the fastest and I'm not really sure why.  We didn't travel, we just enjoyed lots of time as a family at home.  I guess the old adage holds true - "time flies when you're having fun".  You and I have lots of fun everyday while Daddy is at work and we have even more fun as a family when Daddy is home with us.  Thank you for being such a happy, fun-loving baby and for bringing Daddy and I more joy than we imagined when we dreamed of little you.

Here is a peek into your world at 8 months old:


  • You have traded in your sweet smack kisses for the real thing.  You have been kissing mommy for a while, but now you do it more often and spontaneously when mommy doesn't ask for one.  For now, I'm the only one you give your sweet kisses too (probably because I'm always kissing you!). 
  • You have learned to clap now and you understand when it is appropriate.  You clap for yourself when you do something new, when you are proud of you, when George or Oskar fetch their toy, etc. You also love when we play patty cake.  I used to hold your hands together to teach your patty cake and now your hold my hands together as I sing to you.  You trying to teach me something?
  • Right now, we are teaching you how to wave and you can do it, but rarely do it on command.  You do understand that you are saying 'hi' when you wave and do it very spontaneously.  Sometimes it's a backward wave like you are waving to yourself, but a wave none the less.  I'm so proud of you and amazed at how quickly you learn a new 'trick'. 
  • All of a sudden, you started to become a lot more vocal.  One day you woke up and just started babbling - "ba ba ba ba" "da da da da" and when you are upset and need me a mumbled "ma ma" comes out.  You don't just babble "ma ma ma", so that tells me you might actually know you are calling me.  You have really gotten good at "da da", but sadly Daddy hasn't really heard you say it.  I guess you say it during the day more while he is at work.  Maybe you miss him? 
  • Along with your kisses, you give the sweetest, tightest hugs.  You are just so loving.  You've never have been much of a cuddler, but I've really noticed you getting so much more cuddly over this last month.  Whenever you wake up, we cuddle and you cling to me for awhile until you are ready to let go and play.  And every time you are in my arms you hug my neck and squeeze me so tight.  Makes my heart melt. 
  • You are now crawling!  It happened right after you turned 7 months.  After you learned how to crawl, you mastered it!  You are so fast especially when you are crawling to something or someone you are excited to see.  When you are crawling around the house, you love to find obstacles and climb under chairs and over the bars to get to the other side.  You do it over and over around the office chair, bar chairs and my vanity chair.  I think you like to be challenged. 
  • Now that you are crawling, you try to get your hands into every thing - the trash, the dog's water bowl, the fireplace and anything and every thing that is 'off limits'.  We have really been teaching you "no" lately and you understand what it means.  Most of the time you listen and sometimes you don't.  When you aren't in the mood to listen, I pick you up and remove you from the situation.  You may fuss a little, but after a distraction, all is forgotten. 
  • You are still pulling up and standing holding onto anything possible.  Lately, you have been able to take a few steps around the coffee table, switch from standing holding on to the couch to holding on to the coffee table.  I even watched you crawl on to a low plastic container, proceed to stand onto that and hold on to a larger taller box that was next to it.  I couldn't believe it!  Eight months old and already a climber - I'm in trouble!  You can also stand and balance yourself without holding onto anything for about a second or two.  Mostly you like to stand barely holding onto my leg.  You get so proud of yourself when you are learning something new.  Your eyes just light up and you smile from ear-to-ear. 
  • Like any baby, you love peek-a-boo and now you can play with us.  You hold the blanket over your eyes, pull it down, we say peek-a-boo and you giggle with delight!  This is a favorite game of mine.  It keeps you occupied for a bit and you love it!  
  • You still like to make your spitting sound.  Yes, you really spit.  You hold your breath, puff out your sweet cheeks and blow out the air and spit.  Lovely.  I have lots of pictures of this face. 
  • Another new face you make is a face I made as a baby.  I often wonder how many other babies do this.  You squish up your nose and blow air in and out of your nose.  It's funny and really special to your Grammy because I did it all the time.  Yesterday, you and I were shopping, I was pushing your stroller, carrying you in the Bjorn (you are over your stroller and I swear I will carry you in the Bjorn until you are 3) and you were making that face to every one who looked our way.  Lets just say we got lots of stares!  It made me laugh because I envision all the many times I probably embarrassed my mom as a baby.  Oh the adventures!
  • When you used to get fussy in restaurants, I would wave my hand over your mouth (making the Indian sound) and you would get distracted and stop.  Now you can do it on your own.  I love when we are driving, listening to your songs, and you start making the Indian sound in between your singing with mommy.  One of my favorite moments of the day is when you sing and clap in the car with me.  So.very.sweet. 
  • You play the dropping game with mommy and daddy now.  When we are eating out and give you a toy to keep you occupied, you look at us, smile and drop the toy.  Fun for you; not for us... 
  • The one thing I can pinpoint that you absolutely love are dogs.  You have been obsessed with your brothers from the moment you recognized them, your favorite stuffed animals are dogs, your "lovie" is a pink poodle that barks and whines (you can mimic it too - so funny!) and your favorite bath toys are dogs.  I have almost decided that your 1st birthday will have a puppy theme. 
  • Remember how last month I gave up and accepted that you will never be a good napper?  Well, guess what?  YOU FINALLY ARE!  You take two naps a day now.  A 1 hour nap 2 hours after you wake up and a 2 hour nap from either 1:30-3:30 or 2:30-4:30.  I think you are still deciding what time you would like to take that 2 hour nap.  I'm so happy and feel much more accomplished now that I have time to tend to my mommy/wife duties while you are napping and sometimes I get in a little 'me' time too.
  • You are still eating baby food 2 times a day and you are eating much more of it.  This last month you dropped 1 nap and 1 bottle - big changes!  3 - 8oz bottles a day for you now and I'm thinking you will start eating baby food 3 times a day soon.  
  • You continue to sleep from 7:30 am-7:30 pm.  
  • You are in size 6-12 months clothes with growing room and you are still in size 3 diapers. 
  • You weigh 17 lbs 8 oz per our scale at home. 
Baby girl, you are just thriving and growing so fast I can hardly keep up.  Each month I write you these letters, I hope I remember all the important and special moments and milestones to document for me and for you.  I know one day these moments will all be a distant, but cherished memory.  Some Daddy and I may forget and others will feel like yesterday.  Baby, thank you for all of these special moments.  Thank you for making me feel so incredibly loved and admired by you.  I never imagined you would love me so deeply.  

You fill my heart,

Mommy and Daddy
(and Oskar and George too)






































 









No comments:

Post a Comment