Our Story of Hope, Perseverance and Believing in Miracles...

Friday, October 16, 2015

Giselle is ONE Year Old


Dear Giselle, 

We made it. Can you believe it? Our baby girl is one year old today. I have huge lump in my throat and tears streaming down my face as I write this. My heart is just so full of love and gratitude for you and your birth mom. She chose us. We had the most beautiful year because of your birth mom. Because she entrusted us with your life. Watching you grow, learn and thrive day after day on this beautiful journey has been nothing short of incredible. You are such a gift. Such a rare treasure. You've been the best baby. Always sweet, always loving and truly always happy. 

I don’t want this time to pass. I don’t want my baby to grow up, but you must. I haven’t let a day pass me by that I don’t stop, breathe you in and think of your birth mom. It’s far too early for you to understand, but when we talk about adoption with Emeline, we tell both of you your story too. Emeline knows of your adoption story and she knows of your birth mom. And soon enough, you will be proud of your story just like your big sister is. We will always love and honor your birth mom in our home.We love her so much and think of her every day. We have this incredibly gorgeous and silly reminder of her tugging on our legs to pick you up daily. You are still happiest in my arms and I often think of your birth mom when holding you and when you feel an extra squeeze it's just for her. 

If I could summarize with just one word how this last year has been, I would simply say - joyful. You radiate joy; with everything you do and everything you are. You brighten every day. I know in my heart of hearts that you will grow to be a perpetually happy, joyful and positive person. Actually, your heart and soul very much remind me of your birth mom. We only met her once, but I feel like I've always known her. And from what I saw, I can only hope you grow to have her demeanor and outlook on life. 

And now, here’s a peek into your world at 12 months old:


  • You LOVE music.  I read recently that babies were born to love music.  Putting your music on in the car instantly soothes you. You move to the beat, bob your head and clap.  We have recently started a Tiny, Tots and Tunes class and you have been having a blast. You bang your sticks to the beat like a pro, shake your shaker and wave your scarf around like the big kid
  •  You are a bit shy. People love to approach you, tell you how beautiful you are and how big you are (we look ridiculous when I’m carrying you). Every time they do, you tuck your head into my chest until they leave. You’ve done this for months now and I don’t see you growing out of it anytime soon. 
  • You are still a little explorer with a mischievous side - opening drawers that aren't baby proofed, playing in the dog bowls, unrolling the toilet paper, digging around in the snack basket of the pantry and picking things up off the ground you aren't supposed to have.  If you have something you aren't allowed and I take it away, you open your arms out wide, wave them up and down and smile because you think it’s all just a big game. 
  • When I ask you for a kiss, you kiss me.  That big wide open mouthed kiss that I hope you never grow out of. Many times, I ask you to kiss me over and over and over and you are sweet enough to oblige. My sweet little baby.  
  • You love playing with musical toys and anything your sister likes.
  • You love and admire Emeline like nothing I’ve ever witnessed. The connection the two of you have and had from the moment you met is something I’m most proud of in this life. I know it will happen, but I just can’t imagine the two of you fighting. There is just so much love between you. 
  • You are so great at mimicking us.  Whether it is a body movement, a noise with our mouths or even a word, you are so interested in everything we do and often times mimic us perfectly.  
  • You have only six teeth still and have for 2 months now. Trust me, I’m not rushing this! But, you do have the most precious gap between your top two teeth that just melts me when you smile. 
  • Some of your favorite activities besides exploring include: Swinging - it instantly soothes you and even puts you to sleep. We have this great spot for your swings under an old oak tree at our new house that we just love. Being tickled - you giggle, squirm and give us that look for more. Bath time - it’s always been a favorite for you and your sister. It’s part of your bonding time to splash about and play together.
  • Your first word was ‘mama’, but you can now say, ‘dada’, ‘bubba’, ‘hi’, ‘hey’, ‘more’, ‘mimi’, ‘eyes’, ‘sissy’, ‘nigh-nigh’, ‘bye-bye’ and ‘mommy’. I can’t believe how early and how much you have been saying. Our house is never quiet with your ‘Chatty Cathy' sister, so I can’t be too surprised.
  • You can walk while holding on to our hands for balance.  I don't think it will be long before you need no assistance.  You are obsessed with your walker right now and can push it all around the house.  You just need some help when you run into something.  
  • You have been a mommy’s girl from the beginning. And I secretly hope you always will be (don’t tell Daddy!). Our bond and our secrets run deep. 
  • Your favorite song is If You’re Happy and You Know It and your favorite game is Pat-a-Cake. See the trend? You love clapping. You even clap for yourself when you’ve done something commendable. Smarty pants. 
  • You can also high five. We clap and high five for every new accomplishment. 
  • You and Daddy have your own game of him blowing in your hair. We get the biggest giggles out of you when he does this. Makes my heart swell. 
  • We have our own game too. Sometimes, I will be gazing at you being you and you look at me, lean forward and we bump heads. You’ve loved this for months and do it with Mimi too. It’s our moment of connection saying, ‘I get you’ during the hustle and bustle of our days. 
  • Another game you play with Mimi and I is throwing your head in our chests. You think it’s hilarious. And it goes without saying, but so do we. 
  • You love books and being read to. You’ve even started pointed at objects with me. You are especially interested in the books that teach facial features. You already point and say, ‘eyes’, but I know nose and mouth are coming soon. I have to say, you enjoy finger puppet books the most. Especially when ‘they’ tickle you! 
  • You drink 2-8 oz bottles of formula a day, 3 finger food meals and 2 snacks.  You are such a great eater.  I think you eat as much as I do sometimes!  You will literally eat or at the very least try anything I put in front of you. Even those cauliflower mashed ‘potatoes’ daddy fed you the other night that came right back out. I don’t blame you with the texture on that one baby! I would say you favorite food is chicken. You love your meat!
  • You sleep from 8:00 pm-7:30 am. Your nap schedule is still the same.  Your morning nap is 2 hours and your afternoon nap is 45 min to 1 hour.
  • You are in size 18-24 month clothes and size 4 diapers.  
  • Weight - 24 lbs 6 oz 
  • Height - 30.5 in” 

I'm forever thankful for you and for your birth mom choosing us to live out the best days of our life with our sweet girl. We look forward to celebrating each day with you and watching you grow into the Giselle you were were always meant to be. You are pure joy. We couldn’t possibly be more in love with you. We love you more than you’ll ever know. 

Love forever and always,
Mommy, Daddy and Emeline
(Oskar and George too!)



No comments:

Post a Comment