Our Story of Hope, Perseverance and Believing in Miracles...

Friday, March 18, 2011

On Pins and Needles

As I’m writing this, the minutes pass by like hours and my stomach is tied in knots.  It’s 11:18am and still no word from my nurse, Gloria.  It’s not that she should have called by now, but that I needed her to have called by now.  My post-op paperwork says if you haven’t heard anything by 1:00pm, then to give my nurse a call.  In the meantime, my hope is that no news is good news.
As you all know, yesterday went really well.  My egg retrieval went smoothly and Dr. Dunn was able to retrieve 5 eggs.  At this time, we are still uncertain of the size of my eggs, but Dr. Dunn seemed to be happy with them. 

Other than losing my short-term memory while in recovery, I did really well for my first time under anesthesia.  I repeated questions 5-10 times over an hour and a half time period (but who’s counting!).  Kris tried so hard to pretend he was answering my questions like it was the first time I asked them, without smiling or laughing (as if I would remember).  Funny thing is; I thought I was sleeping the whole time in recovery and it turns out I never slept, but spoke coherently the entire time. That blows my mind!  Kris said I would close my eyes every once in a while and open them only to be startled and have no idea where I was.  Once I had a grasp on where I was, I would excitedly ask how many eggs and how many motile sperm he had.  My poor husband…  

Actually, I take that back! He was fortunate (actually, we both were) and escaped surgery, because his semen sample was good!  Again, we don’t know the details yet, other than he had 10 motile sperm counted before we left, which is twice as many as we needed. 

Although we are both very nervous to receive this first phone call, we are filled with so much hope that this is our time; that our baby was conceived last night.
Here are a few photos from our special St. Paddy's Day:

This is me soon after the egg retrieval. Things moved quickly once we arrived so we couldn't get a 'before' picture.


I  can't remember this photo, but I'm glad we have it! A super excited Daddy-to-be!

I woke up from my nap to new running boards!

Thanks Dad and Kris!

No comments:

Post a Comment