On the morning of Tuesday, September 28th, Kris and I woke up and treated this day as if it were any other day. He kissed me goodbye and went off to work and I started getting ready for my doctor’s appointment later that morning. I had my very first ultrasound and though that may not sound scary, the rush of emotions you feel by starting the fertility process are. My friend and neighbor Jenni, who I would later realize was a godsend, went to my appointment with me for moral support. At the time, Kris was unable to sneak away from work since he was scheduled to fly to Palm Beach that afternoon for an investor meeting.
I arrive to check in for my ultrasound and find out that I will be seeing the doctor as well. This is not normal practice, so I felt very nervous something was terribly wrong. Thankfully Kris called just as I was checking in to say he was on his way, which was a huge sigh of relief. I immediately went back and had my ultrasound followed by 15 minutes of pure agony waiting on both Kris and the doctor. Eventually, I was called back to meet with Dr. Dunn and just as I sat down, Kris walked in the door and I could breathe again. Then in walks Dr. Dunn with these very sweet charismatic eyes and immediately goes straight into our test results. I love this about him. He knows we are in high anticipation of why we are in his office unscheduled and he refuses to make you wait and conjure up small talk. He places Kris’ semen analysis results in front of us and began to explain the shocking results. This is the moment when our lives would forever be changed and so unexpectedly. My heart sank and my world turned upside down. Kris and I were blind-sided by the news that we will never be able to have a baby the good old-fashioned way.
I wish I could tell you that the bad news stops here, but unfortunately it doesn’t. We then proceed to go over my blood test results only to find out that he believes more than ever that I have Endometriosis. In short, Endometriosis affects reproductive organs and compromises fertility. As well as having Endometriosis, the quality and quantity of my eggs are not where Dr. Dunn would want them to be for my age.
Understanding all three of our issues, our only option at this point will be to proceed with In-Vitro Fertilization. We lost our dream of having a baby naturally, but we are ready to face the road less travelled, hand-in-hand and with high hopes. We have a difficult road ahead of us, but both Kris and I realize this journey will only make us stronger. We will cling to one another and support the other when one falters.
In the end, we woke up on this Tuesday believing it was just an ordinary day, but it will forever be marked in our hearts as a day that changed our lives. I will never forget the events of this day and how it all unfolded. I believe more than ever that people are placed in our lives for a reason and Jenni was meant to be there with me to hold my hand when Kris was unable to. Our path is uncertain, but we know somehow, someway, we will come away from this journey with a child to love unconditionally.
Ashley,
ReplyDeleteYou have been my neighbor for a while, but now I am honored to call you my friend! I thank God that He has put you in our lives- we are so blessed by both you and Kris.
I hate that you and Kris have to walk this road. It breaks my heart. But, I pray that through this journey, your marriage is strengthened and that you find joy in unexpected places.
Though I do not yet know how your miracle will arrive, I trust that it will. Until that day, I will always be here by your side to walk with you. I will share wine and tears....And I will be the one that celebrates with you when you get the news that you are going to be a mommy!
Love you!
Jenni,
ReplyDeleteThis post brought tears to my eyes, but tears of joy to have met such wonderful people like you and Rusty. God knew what he was doing when He made us neighbors. I am immensly blessed to have you walk with me, but know that I am here to walk with you as well. I may not always know the right words to say, but my heart is always in the right place.
May 2011 be the year that our dream comes true and we BOTH welcome our miracle baby into this world!
Love you!