First of all, I would like to apologize to all for going on a brief hiatus. The month of October is a blur for Kris and I with so many trips, doctors’ appointments, procedures and fun events in between to keep us smiling. Our life prior to IVF has always been in constant motion with us enjoying life together in various ways and always staying active. We have decided that over the next month or so, life needs to slow down and we need to focus on one another and our beautiful baby that we WILL soon bring into this world. This means staying home (more often); a term somewhat foreign to us. Kris and I both want to put our heart and soul into IVF and make sure that we do everything in our power to get pregnant the first round. If we don’t get pregnant, our hearts will be broken, but we will find comfort knowing we aren’t in control and it wasn’t God’s will at the time.
Over the last month we have been poked and prodded in search for answers to the cause of our infertility. After all our testing and procedures, we know two things for certain; I have endometriosis and Kris has low testosterone. Kris is now on Clomid to help his body produce more testosterone and hopefully increase his sperm quality and quantity. He will be on Clomid for the rest of our childbearing years and then on some form of testosterone for the rest of his life. Kris’ low testosterone could be the sole culprit inhibiting his ability to produce sperm, but there could be something more. We may never know. According to Dr. Khera, we fall into the bracket of 30% of couples going through infertility that never get real answers. But, that’s okay. We know enough to comfortably move forward with IVF and we are willing and ready!
After completing my procedure and blood test yesterday, we have the okay to start the injections on Tuesday. Starting next week, Kris will be giving me shots twice a day (scary, I know!) and I will be going to the doctor every couple of days to every other day for blood work and an ultrasound. Dr. Dunn will carefully be monitoring my body and how it responds to the medications. He will be making adjustments as needed with my medicine and as soon as my eggs are mature he will schedule the egg retrieval. Right now, we are estimating that day to be November 22nd. Gloria, Dr. Dunn’s nurse, who I have been in close contact with, says it could be a day or two earlier or later, but it looks like things are happening the week of Thanksgiving! On the day of the egg retrieval, both Kris and I will be under anesthesia. Before I go in for my egg retrieval, Kris will have a testicular biopsy done, where they will remove his sperm. Since we will both be loopy that day from anesthesia, my gracious parents with be taking care of us. Then, for 3-5 days after our egg retrieval, Baby Simpson will be a developing embryo and as soon as he/she has fertilized we will go in for the embryo transfer. This day is tentatively scheduled for November 27th. It blows our mind, that in a mere three weeks we could be PREGNANT! In the coming weeks, I may feel awful, my body may do unrecognizable things, but we are so excited for this opportunity and the chance to be pregnant very soon. And just so you know, if I do get pregnant this round, our precious baby will be due mid-late August 2011!
As for our new kind of normal…For the month of November, I have traded in hot yoga for the elliptical, wine for water, and activities for relaxation. Kris and I will both be religiously taking our vitamins and medications while paying close attention to our bodies. We will do our very best to remove stress from our lives and stay as relaxed as possible. This month will be a trying month both physically and emotionally, but we are prepared and very excited to move forward. This year, I’m thankful for the answers we have received, for the amazing doctors we have behind us and for the opportunity to do IVF. On Thanksgiving, we will be celebrating Kris’ 28th birthday and the normal development of our embryos and soon to be Baby Simpson. I couldn’t imagine a more special Thanksgiving.
No comments:
Post a Comment