Our Story of Hope, Perseverance and Believing in Miracles...

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Happy Birthday Oskar!

My birthday boy!

Oskar is six today and I can’t believe how quickly the years are passing.  If I really start to think about it, I have to stop because my eyes swell up with tears.  I just can’t imagine life without my Oskar in it.
He’s a special dog and he knows it.
Oskar is human and he’s not afraid to show you.  He’s been there for his mommy and daddy during some tough times and he helped us pull through them with smiles on our faces.
Like the time when Kris moved back to Houston to start his job at Credit Suisse and it was just Oskar and I left in Austin to finish up my internship.  There were some pretty lonely nights but Oskar made sure I was always laughing.  He helped me paint daddy pictures by smelling the canvas and getting paint all over his cute little face or better yet walking on top of the canvas!  He absolutely hated when I was studying and would make sure and lay right on top of my book so I had to play with him.  And who could resist his puppy face!  Oh and let’s not forget the time I brought him to the pool and he took interest in a friend’s beer.  Just as Eric went to pick up his beer from the side of the pool, Oskar went to smell it and opps; he fell in the scorching hot tub.  This momma was scared!
Oskar as a puppy. Adorable, right?
Oskar has also been a great source of support during our fertility journey.  When I was sick, he never left my side.  Ever.  When I was sad, he would kiss my tears away.  And every time Kris gave me a shot he was right there to make sure I was okay.  I told you he was special.

Oskar has been with us during all of our milestones as well - college graduation, the purchase of our first home, our engagement, our wedding and our decision to make him a brother someday.  He was our first dog together and because of that, he will always hold a special place in our hearts even long after he’s gone (again tears).
Oskar has lived in five different places, traveled many a road trip with us and we’ve toted him around just about anywhere you can get away with it.  He’s a resilient little dog with a huge heart.  He’ll kiss a complete stranger, won’t stop jumping on you unless you acknowledge him and he barks at every person that passes by our house.  He’s a protective big eared pup (as I like to call him).  And he’s a great big brother to George.  Buying a second dog was the best decision we ever made for Oskar.  They are the best of friends.
Oskar meeting George for the first time.
We’ve been waiting nearly two years now to make Oskar a brother (to our baby, not just to George). And as the years keep passing, I get worried, because I want our baby to remember Oskar the way that I remember my first dog, Eric.  Because I was an only child, Eric was my “bubba” and my best friend. He never left my side.  I want that bond for our baby and for Oskar and George.
I can’t wait to see Oskar become the overprotective worried little dog when his brother or sister is crying.  I can’t wait to watch Oskar protect them (literally) as they try and master the stairs.  We’ve seen Oskar do this with Gavin, my friend Sarah’s son and it was truly amazing to watch.  Oskar knew what he was doing and repeatedly stepped behind Gavin as he crawled up the stairs so that if Gavin fell Oskar was there to “catch” him.  And I can’t wait for all the kisses, cuddles and playtimes in between.  I know Oskar is going to make the best big brother. We just have to work on the barking!
Happy Birthday my sweet boy!  We love you more than words can express.

P.S. George has not been forgotten. His birthday is August 20th and I'll write a tribute to him on his birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment